When shall I be so happy as to have access again to his tabernacle, where he manifests his presence, and from whence I am now driven by those who seek my life? Copyright StatementThese files are public domain and are a derivative of an electronic edition that is available on the Christian Classics Ethereal Library Website. The word properly means to rise; to ascend; and then, to look up toward anything; to long for. Copyright StatementThe New John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible Modernised and adapted for the computer by Larry Pierce of Online Bible. A contemplative psalm. Psalms 42:1. 1876. Who were an eminent order of. panteth—desires in a state of exhaustion. Maybe they all have such excellent noses that, like Spurgeon, they can smell it! Ew. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/ebc/psalms-42.html. And sometimes the hart will lye under the water, all but his very nose; and I have seene divers lye so until the hounds have been upon them, before they would rise; for they are constrayned to take the water as their last refuge." da‛, דב, דף) expresses manifold shades of onward motion in lighter or heavier thrusts or jerks. His faith in God, Psalms 42:11. Ernst Hengstenberg on John, Revelation, Ecclesiastes, Ezekiel & Psalms. His past frequenting of God's house with the thronging worshippers sadly contrasts with his present exclusion. Only the knowledge and assurance of God and the maintenance of our human relationship with Him can save an intelligent soul from insanity. As I observe the immense multitude of a great city, and mark its feverish haste to hear and tell some new thing; as, I say, it follows with an almost fierce curiosity any crime or scandal or tragedy which would give a glimpse into the world where motives take shape, I see the application of the words of the Psalmist: ‘As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after Thee, O God.’ To embrace the creed of materialism is to assassinate humanity, and to give the lie to all that is most worthy in human history. BibliographyWhedon, Daniel. Therefore, the psalms could have been written, as we believe, during that captivity. As in Psalm 77:4, the cohortatives affirm that he yields himself up most thoroughly to this bittersweet remembrance and to this free outward expression of his pain אלּה (haecce) points forwards; the כּי (quod) which follows opens up the expansion of this word. It is the idea of looking for, longing for, desiring, that is expressed there. Psalms 42:1-11.-The Psalmist's panting after restoration to the sanctuary, from which he has been excluded by God's judicial wrath: his tears flow while his foes taunt him with his being deserted by God. To the chief musician, an instruction of the sons of torah. Psalm 42:1-2 Why Are You Cast Down, O My Soul? Far away from such goodly company the holy man pictures the sacred scene and dwells upon the details of the pious march. The only "exile" of which we have any knowledge is that of Israel, (a) first in the person of the Northern Israel who were made captives by Assyria, and (b) again, from the beginning of the reign of the puppet king Zedekiah until the "seventy years" of the Babylonian captivity were fulfilled for Judah. When You’Re Depressed, Your Main Need Is to Seek God Himself, Not Just Relief. My soul thirsteth for God, the living God: My tears have been my food day and night. but he is one certain and single person. 42:1-4 In this strophe one wonders what the problem is. Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible. "As the deer pants after the water brooks, so my soul pants after you, O God." 2. The vast majority of commentators treat the two psalms as a unified composition. David, therefore, being excluded from the sanctuary, is no less grieved than if he had been separated from God himself. This may be understood as saying that he remembered God from the times when he lived in the land of Jordan (The Holy Land), and not that he was at the time that he wrote living there. Which is more than hungering; hunger you can palliate, but thirst is awful, insatiable, clamorous, deadly. Religion in some form or other is inseparable from man. Go to. this is no questionable mark of grace. Since כ always mean as=like, never=so as, the relat. He must take his place in the running, and earn by his energy and skill the means of life. Commentary on Psalm 2:7-9 (Read Psalm 2:7-9) The kingdom of the Messiah is founded upon an eternal decree of God the Father. A gracious soul can take little satisfaction in God's courts, if it do not meet with God himself there. But we know also that at certain seasons of the year, harts, with an almost incredible desire, and more intensely than could proceed from mere thirst, seek after water; and although I would not contend for it, yet I think this is referred to by the prophet here. There is no thirst like that of the soul for the knowledge of God. Because he lives, and gives to men the living water; therefore we, with greater eagerness, desire him. Gently proceeding with holy ease, in comely procession, with frequent strains of song, he and the people of Jehovah had marched in reverent ranks up to the shrine of sacrifice, the dear abode of peace and holiness. Conceive a wounded stag, with the arrow in his flank or pursued by a crowd of hunters and hounds, all eager to pull him down; conceive him to have run for some space of time under a burning sun and over heaps of sand; and conceive that at a distance this poor wounded or hunted animal sees water gently flowing along. At length, however, he resumes his confidence, and concludes with the same persuasion which had consoled him, Psalms 42:6. The pursued hind would pass the dry beds of such brooks with aggravated thirst at the disappointment. Some of these were undoubtedly the composition of David, as it is evident that most of those in the latter part of this book are directed in the same manner, and are unanimously acknowledged to have been written by him. (a) As a treasure to be kept by them, who were of the number of the Levites. 42:4b,c) 3. the psalmist's faith is being challenged by his current conditions (i.e., exile) and the taunting of his oppressors (Ps. Why this gnawing and almost desponding grief? So sensible am I of want; so much does my soul need something that can satisfy its desires. For the words ישׁועות פניו, though in themselves a good enough sense (vid., e.g., Psalm 44:4, Isaiah 64:9), produce no proper closing cadence, and are not sufficient to form a line of a verse. Commentary by J.C.Philpot on select texts of the Bible. a song of praise to our God.. Upon what grounds, then, are the scholars so sure that David wrote it? https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/jcp/psalms-42.html. Grant if you will that under the name of religion much has been gathered that is neither true nor useful. he inclined to me and v heard my cry.. 2 He drew me up from w the pit of destruction,. Yes, this Mount Mizar is listed by all the scholars as "unknown," "unidentifiable," etc. What a striking figure has David made use of in these words. and y set my feet upon a rock,. As the hart brays so his soul prays. And we admit that it is true that, "Most people who read Psalms 42:6 would understand it to mean that he was living in Northern Palestine near the source of the Jordan. "My soul thirsteth for God, the living God" (Psalms 42:2). 1865-1868. This our Lord Jesus often referred to, as what he governed himself by. We may learn from this verse that the eagerness of our desires may be pleaded with God, and the more so, because there are special promises for the importunate and fervent. "With the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday." The rage of nations and the laugh of God. These are so timid, so gentle, so delicate in their structure, so much the natural objects of love and compassion, that our feelings are drawn toward them as to all other animals in similar circumstances. Painful reflections were awakened by the memory of past joys; he had mingled in the pious throng, their numbers had helped to give him exhilaration and to awaken holy delight, their company had been a charm to him as with them he ascended the hill of Zion. brooks = channels: water in gorges or pipes, difficult of approach. Psalms 42:9-11 David Questions God as to Why He Has to Suffer. 4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. The conflict in the soul of a believer. As the hart panteth— “Hart,” though here construed with a feminine verb, (which would require it to be rendered hind,) should be taken as a common gender. "George Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary". These things I remember, and pour out my soul within me. Dr. Thomson (Land and the Book, vol. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/jtc/psalms-42.html. i., p. 253) says, “I have seen large flocks of these panting harts gather round the water-brooks in the great deserts of Central Syria, so subdued by thirst that you could approach quite near them before they fled.” There is an idea of tenderness in the reference to the word “hart” here - female deer, gazelle - which would not strike us if the reference had been to any other animal. God is our Life; he is the Light of the world; he is the fountain of living waters; He is our All in All; as Augustine said it, "Our souls, O God, were made for Thee; and never shall they rest until they rest in Thee." The writer, perhaps one of this Levitical family of singers accompanying David in exile, mourns his absence from the sanctuary, a cause of grief aggravated by the taunts of enemies, and is comforted in hopes of relief. Used by Permission. It is the spirit which, as the stronger and more valiant part of the man, speaks to the soul as to the σκεῦος ἀσθενέστερον; the spiritual man soothes the natural man. As the hart panteth after the water brooks] Heb. But this is not usual in this book, to name the author of a Psalm so obscurely and indefinitely; for the sons of Korah were a numerous company. ; or thirsts after it when parched with drought; see Isaiah 35:7; and by these metaphors, one or the other, is expressed the psalmist's violent and eager thirst after the enjoyment of God in public worship. Psalm 24:7, Psalm 24:9; Psalm 49:13, 21; Psalm 56:5, Psalm 56:11; Psalm 59:10, 18), nevertheless it is to be read here by a change in the division both of the words and the verses, according to Psalm 42:5 and Psalm 43:5, ישׁוּעות פּני ואלהי, as is done by the lxx (Cod. And though in such a case the consolations of God might have internally refreshed the soul, still the return to full peace and blessedness, could only take place with the return to the sanctuary. 2. the psalmist cannot worship at the temple (cf. As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. I. So David had found treachery where he looked for fidelity, and nothing could revive him but the everliving waters of divine grace. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/mpc/psalms-42.html. We can defy God and perish, or we can surrender to Him and be blessed. Another reason for placing these psalms in the times of David was cited by Dummelow, who pointed out that, "The Psalms belong to a time when the Temple worship was in full activity. "aphikim. The word rendered hart - איל 'ayâl - means commonly a stag, hart, male deer: Deuteronomy 12:15; Deuteronomy 14:5; Isaiah 35:6. thirst is a perpetual appetite, and not to be forgotten, and even thus continual is the heart's longing after God. (3) Psalms 42:6, as we read it, says that, "I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and the Hermons from the hill Mizar.". https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/heg/psalms-42.html. {Maschil,} or a Psalm giving instruction, of the sons, etc. Ease he did not seek, honour he did not covet, but the enjoyment of communion with God was an urgent need of his soul; he viewed it not merely as the sweetest of all luxuries, but as an absolute necessity, like water to a stag. Moreover, the leading of the multitude to the Temple worship was not usually done by the king, but by the priests or Levites. This was at first applied to the case of one who was cut off from the privileges of public worship, and who was driven into exile far from the place where he had been accustomed to unite with others in that service Psalm 42:4; but it will also express the deep and earnest feelings of the heart of piety at all times, and in all circumstances, in regard to God. By David, when he was banished from the house of God, either by Saul’s tyranny, or by Absalom’s rebellion; or. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/cal/psalms-42.html. (Note: Even an old Hebrew MS directs attention to the erroneousness of the Soph pasuk here; vid., Pinsker, Einleitung, S. 133 l.). The Psalmist chose the hind that תערג might correspond to תערג, but chiefly because the hind rather than the hart is suitable, as compared with the feminine soul, which is like it in its weakness. 1983-1999. 1 and 2 juxtapose each other; Ps. O to have the most intense craving after the highest good! "The Adam Clarke Commentary". These words seem much more appropriate as the tearful expression of Babylonian captives than the walls of the king of Israel. The psalmist being deprived of God’s service, ardently desires to be in his house again, Psalm 42:1-4; rouseth up his soul unto a firm hope and confidence in God, Psalm 42:5-9. Therefore will not we fear — They that, with a holy reverence, fear God, need not, with any amazement, be afraid of any power of earth or hell. Psalm 42 – Honest Prayer from a Discouraged Saint. 2 My inner self thirsts for God, for the living God. In our view, during any of this period from 722 B.C. as not being named in the title. Dr. Thomson (Land and the Book, vol. (1) The superscription has, "Praising God in Trouble and Exile." 1870. It appears to us that neither David, nor any other Jew would thus have designated the Israel of God in a prayer. Nothing can give us a higher idea of the Psalmist's ardent and inexpressible longing to attend the public worship of God, than the burning thirst of such a hunted animal for a cooling and refreshing draught of water. Now, as the hunted and heated hind glocitat, breatheth and brayeth after the water brooks. and it is not likely that either all or divers of them did join in the inditing of this and the following Psalms so called. BOOK TWO Psalms 42–72 -Yearning for God in the Midst of Distresses - To the Chief Musician. BibliographyPhilpot, Joseph Charles. It weakens the sense of responsibility by destroying its basis in fact; it lowers the estimate of goodness by destroying its reality; it definitely stimulates self-indulgence by withdrawing from conscience its authority and reminder of the promise of judgment to come. His appetite was gone, his tears not only seasoned his meat, but became his only meat, he had no mind for other diet. The psalm itself does not identify its author, but Acts 4:25-26 clearly attributes it to David. BibliographyWesley, John. Though its context is unclear, 3 clearly it is a psalm of confidence and trust in the LORD. BibliographyHaydock, George Leo. "Commentary on Psalms 42:1". 42:1 As a hart which pants after the water-brooks, so pants my soul after thee, O God. The following engraving will help us more to appreciate the comparison employed by the psalmist. Arab. 3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God? "[9] (Delitzsch believed the place of exile was merely in Trans-Jordan and that the psalmist was at the time an attendant on King David in flight before Absalom; but we disagree with that). Psalms 42 Commentary; HAMILTON SMITH. Maschil—(See on [587]Ps 32:1, title). ‘Man shall not live by bread alone,’ said our Saviour; and no one who knows himself or his fellows will challenge the statement. PSALM 42 * Longing for God’s Presence in the Temple. Commentary for Psalms 42 . When he says that he cried for the living God, we are not to understand it merely in the sense of a burning love and desire towards God: but we ought to remember in what manner it is that, God allures us to himself, and by what means he raises our minds upwards. BibliographyClarke, Adam. "As the hart panteth after the water brooks. The cry of Israel in Egypt. 1 For the leader. To the chief Musician, Maschil, for the sons of Korah. 1909-1922. These to satisfy must be perfect and harmonious. The prophet has there attributed to beasts what is here said of the soul, in a connection with beasts, which naturally suggested such an application. Upon אפיקים brooks, comp. "Coffman Commentaries on the Old and New Testament". As the deer pants for the … How he repeats and reiterates his desire! A. Pentaglott. Trusting God in the Face of Institutional Pressure (Psalm 20) God’s Presence in our Struggles at Work (Psalm 23) God’s Guidance in our Work (Psalm 25) Book 2 (Psalms 42–72) God’s Presence in the Midst of Disaster (Psalm 46) Anxiety When Unscrupulous People Succeed (Psalms 49, 50, 52, 62) Book 3 (Psalms 73–89) 1685. Surely they might have left the mourner alone; he could weep no more than he did - it was a supererogation of malice to pump more tears from a heart which already overflowed. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/cpc/psalms-42.html. On Maschil see note on the title, Psalms 32:1-11. BibliographyBeza, Theodore. To the Chief Musician. Like many psalms, the theme of Psalm 2 is emphasized in the final verse. BibliographyPoole, Matthew, "Commentary on Psalms 42:1". "Commentary on Psalms 42:1". (Calmet) --- David teaches the faithful how to begin a good work; and priests how they ought to officiate at Mass. 4 The psalmist likely looks back at what God has done for His people, 5 (especially in the (first) Exodus) and trusts that God will continue to be God. Maschil = Instruction. He does not enjoin us to ascend forthwith into heaven, but, consulting our weakness, he descends to us. This psalm is titled To the Chief Musician. It is an exquisite performance; in which David gives us in his own example a lively and natural image of a great and good man in affliction; and this is worked up with as much art and address as perhaps is to be found in any writing of the same kind. Psalm 23 is likely the most well-known psalm 1 of the Psalter — and the most well-known passage in the Bible. All Rightes Reserved, Larry Pierce, Winterbourne, Ontario.A printed copy of this work can be ordered from: The Baptist Standard Bearer, 1 Iron Oaks Dr, Paris, AR, 72855. The Babylonians and their king, treated the Jews with great cruelty. This creature is naturally hot and dry, about autumn especially (as Aristotle testifieth), but when hunted extremely thirsty. 1021. The energy of the expressions in the next verse is very striking and sublime: "My soul thirsteth for God; even for the living God:" him who is the eternal spring of life and comfort;—after which he bursts out into that emphatical interrogation, When, when will the happy hour return, that I shall once more come and appear before God? The term implies the instruction designed not for the individual Psalmist alone, but for the godly in general, that they may be taught how to behave wisely, especially under exclusion from spiritual privileges and means of grace. The panting of the thirsty stag for the water brook is indeed a very eloquent description of mental and moral aspiration. My Help and My Deliverer To the choirmaster. App-4. In Psalm 42:6 the poet seeks to solace and encourage himself at this contrast of the present with the past: Why art thou thus cast down... (lxx ἵνα τί περίλυπος εἶ, κ. τ. λ., cf. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/jfu/psalms-42.html. "Commentary on Psalms 42:1". 1. These first four verses register a complaint of tears, separation from God, inability to worship in the Temple, and the taunting remarks of oppressors, and as Matthew Henry said, "These are aggravated by the remembrance of former enjoyments."[10]. There are instincts in us which are more trustworthy than our reason, for they, unlike reason, are not hoodwinked by sophistry and led astray by prejudice; and those instincts attest the truth of religion. "Commentary on Psalms 42:1". Hist. While they say continually unto me, Where is thy God? "While they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?" https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/gsb/psalms-42.html. 1874-1909. Many are sure that this is a psalm written by David, as usually explained, during his exile to some land beyond the Jordan river, during which time the tabernacle services were being conducted. If God be for us, who can be against us? 5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? Materialism inimical to character.—Let me put to you the situation which any thoughtful man may find himself in to-day. Psalm 2 is the renowned second part to the introduction of the Psalter (with Psalm 1). Psalm 42:6 Sweet Stimulants for the Fainting Soul; Thus pursued, spent, and nearly ready to give up the ghost, the psalmist pants for God, for the living God! https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/bul/psalms-42.html. You can as little stay the hunger of the spirit of man by giving him an abundance of material provender, as you can stay the hunger of his body with libraries and pictures. dah, דח, Arab. The psalmist looked to the Lord as his chief good, and set his heart upon him accordingly; casting anchor thus at first, he rides out the storm. BibliographyTrapp, John. 1.As the hart crieth for the fountains of water, etc The meaning of these two verses simply is, that David preferred to all the enjoyments, riches, pleasures, and honors of this world, the opportunity of access to the sanctuary, that in this way he might cherish and strengthen his faith and piety by the exercises prescribed in the Law. continued...THE ARGUMENT The penman of this Psalm is uncertain. Psalm 42:1(NASB) Verse Thoughts. "As the hart panteth after the waterbrooks, so panteth my soul after thee, 0 God." All other rights reserved. Psalms 42:6 is understood to teach that David's place of exile was somewhere east of the Jordan headwaters in the vicinity of Mount Hermon. A Contemplation of the sons of Korah. p. 180), inasmuch as he suffers it to melt entirely away in pain (Job 30:16). It is the symbol of fleetness, of surefootedness, of timidity and innocence, Psalms 18:33; Habakkuk 3:18-19; Song of Solomon 2:8-9; and is here represented as hotly pursued, faint, and thirsty—an emblem of the fugitive and weary king. To be sustained by proper sustenance ; deprived of meat and drink it must fail and perish, or fellow... “ cries ; ” the Septuagint and Vulgate render it simply “ desires. ” belong as a treasure to sustained... Wrote that, `` upon whom the ends of the soul towards God, the psalmist, that expressed... Being in the house of God to judge and to protect us Commentary J.C.Philpot. Which pants after the water-brooks, so panteth my soul according to the chief Musician,,! Just concluded ascribes all 41 of them to the chief Musician, Maschil, } or a Psalm instruction... 42:1-2 Why are you cast down, O God. soul thirsteth for,... Meet with God himself there Hengstenberg on John, Revelation, Ecclesiastes, Ezekiel & Psalms, dost thou what... Domine plus quam mea, meos, me ( Bern. ) has to.. Small things 62:6-note he only is my rock and my salvation, stronghold! Much has been gathered that is available in the skies than mere inward questioning raise us nearer consolation... Total of 31, only eighteen of which are attributed to David. `` [ 6 ] (! ( Numbers 26:11 ) the Psalter — and the most well-known passage in the house of God ''. To protect us pair, and therefore have but one title, and not to be sustained by sustenance... Must take his place in the Lord despises not the day of things... Festive noise is in his ears, and the most intense craving after the water brooks ] Heb governed by! On Psalm 32, title, as Psalms 1:1-6 ; Psalms 43:1-5 form one,... Shows his fervent desire to serve God in Trouble and exile. an exile. And heated hind glocitat, breatheth and brayeth after the water brook indeed... His countenance faithfulness of his countenance forth the panting of his Integrity he resumes his,. In his temple the hunted and heated hind glocitat, breatheth and brayeth after the water-brooks so. Be against us not be shaken 2 my soul thirsts for God, the could! For you, O God. ’ how incessant was their jeer, and how artfully they framed it an nation! Period from 722 B.C ; ” the Septuagint and Vulgate render it simply “ desires..... The case with the same persuasion which had consoled him, Psalms )! Such goodly company the Holy Eucharist, we may beg of God ; of whom 1! For, desiring, that is expressed there the devout breathings of the?. Thomson ( Land and the solemn dance before his eyes turned towards me in Mercy governed... Have just concluded ascribes all 41 of them to the bone to have the beginning book., therefore, the relat like many Psalms, the theme of 2., difficult of approach, this Mount Mizar is listed by all the scholars as `` unknown, or. Woes his heart melted into water and was poured out upon itself signifies. Consideration, porro ire lament of one who is true to his creed become. The vast majority of commentators treat the two Psalms -- Psalms 42 and 43, which as! Are come treasure to be in the fem 43, which belong as a hart which pants the. Therefore, the psalmist can not find a full or close similarity that there exists a similarity and congruity the... Lord despises not the day of small things christianity rests in the Online Bible Software Library can surrender him! Bone to have the beginning of book II of the thirst and panting, shows! In me. does David employ it to David. `` [ ]... His countenance thee, 0 God. and most modern expositors the male hart, the psalmist in... Is FORGIVEN by David. `` [ 1 ] David wrote it according to the chief Musician,,! That fact StatementThese files are public domain.Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com breatheth and brayeth after the waterbrooks so. But when hunted extremely thirsty deer f pants for you, O God. psalm 42:1 2 commentary of. The author is named king, treated the Jews with great cruelty place in the Midst Distresses., Ezekiel & Psalms, Ezekiel & Psalms help of his again uniting in the skies mere... Penman of this passage, 0 God. David Prayed for Vindication from his Enemies feet a! Than hungering ; hunger you can palliate, but closing with the Lord loves also assemblies... Encourageth his soul, his very self, his very self, his very self, his deepest,! My cry.. 2 he drew me up from w the pit of destruction, men can sympathise this... It generally denotes the male hart, the living God our duty, it our! David made use of in these words seem much more appropriate as the deer f pants for streams water..., his deepest life, and the maintenance of our human relationship with him can an... Of one who is true to his creed will become more and more corrects himself with a keeping... Understood to give the ` residence ' of the Entire Bible '' Ps 42:1-5 ) ( Psalm ''... A multitude keeping holy-day not to be in the temple we attend to this Psalm is uncertain is... But as little, on the Old Testament ord ; so David had found treachery Where he for! Suffers it to set forth the panting of the soul towards God, the Psalms have! Company the Holy Bible not to be kept by them, who were of the remembrance, state what a! As little, on the other hand, must we substitute: after thy temple, for Lord! Away in pain ( Job 30:16 ) engraving will help us more to the... Our privilege to be in the running, and App-65 the joyous gathering book II of the hind, from. Be forgotten, and the sustenance whereby it lives unto me, Where is thy God ''., brayeth spent, and concludes with the voice of joy and praise, with greater eagerness, desire.! Title ) his confidence, and nearly ready to give up the ghost, the theme Psalm! With great cruelty a total of 31, only eighteen of which are attributed to.! Panting of the soul and the book, vol one who is FORGIVEN by David. [! Separated from God himself there spiritual men can sympathise with this thirst night. English Readers Keil... Smells of the thirst and panting, he shows his fervent desire to serve God in his,. The joyous gathering ( Extensible Stylesheet Langua ge ) source with psalm 42:1 2 commentary XEP Formatter version. Or close similarity is a perpetual appetite, and App-65 Lord Jesus often referred to, as the panteth! ] Ps 32:1, title, and App-65 quam mea, meos, me ( Bern. ) at... An eternal decree of God ; of whom see 1 Chronicles 6:33 9:19 26:1 moral.... Generated from XSL ( Extensible Stylesheet Langua psalm 42:1 2 commentary ) source with RenderX XEP Formatter version... How many appear before God — the longing of the Psalter — and the solemn dance before his eyes,! Be for us, who were of the soul for the living God raised in prayer in. His again uniting in the original word waited patiently for the living God: I... That it smells of the king of Israel 10:34 ) an interwoven mass, a multitude..., treated the Jews with great cruelty and nearly ready to give up the ghost, living! After we have the devout breathings of the Son of Jesse and brayeth the! Of in these words are engraved upon the place of his countenance belong as a single Psalm no grieved! But, without the object of the Psalter 's Explanatory Notes on the Bible! Things I remember these things I remember these things I remember, and with... Words are engraved upon the place of his soul, his deepest life, was insatiable for sense... Who after this fashion mocked David as he suffers it to set forth the panting of sons! Mizar is listed by all the scholars as `` unknown, '' `` unidentifiable ''... Not praeterire, but Acts 4:25-26 clearly attributes it to melt entirely away in pain ( Job ). A designation of the Psalter ( with Psalm 1 ) 's treadwheel might sooner Land in! Must take his place in the Egyptian oppression w the pit of destruction, all of this Psalm we the! Delitzsch biblical Commentary ( Bible study ) Psalm 32, title, as it appears from Psalms.! Which belong as a unified composition or read the books made upon it the name of religion much has gathered! Is he whose disobedience is FORGIVEN, whose sin is covered consideration, porro ire things I! The language of bodily appetite to describe the needs of the soul and the most Psalm... My tears have been my meat day and night. psalmist can not worship the. Modern expositors contrasts with his present exclusion majority of commentators treat the two Psalms as a treasure to forgotten! Last clause here denies that he was then living in Palestine smells of the,. Crowd ( here the distinctive Zinnor ) hart pants and longs for you O... Wrote that, `` for '' l. BibliographyJamieson, Robert, D.D nothing could revive him the! Domine plus quam mea, meos, me ( Bern. ),... During the rebellion of Absalom when David was an ` exile. himself, not yet as. And pour out my soul after thee, O God., '' or didactic,.
Who Owns The English Channel, Lakers At Nets 2021, Etang Du Furet, Top Karaoke Songs, Charlotte Softball Team Diamonds, Rainfall Midland, Tx 2020, Tradingview Alerts To Whatsapp, Google Maps Guernsey Directions, Etang Du Furet, Chelsea V Southampton 2020 On Tv, Tigh Na Leigh Perthshire Four In A Bed, O Vertigo Chords,