Review: RockyMounts SplitRail Hitch Rack. The rear wheel cradle is attached on a hinge so it does have some adjustment, the RockyMounts website claims it can fit wheelbases from 34" to 49". Best Ultra-Light Hitch Rack: Thule Helium Pro 3 at L.L. The RockyMounts Monorail 2-Bike Platform Hitch Rack is a solid, well-built bike rack that is much less expensive than comparable quality bike racks. Otherwise, we feel good about the overall durability of the MonoRail but it can't match the bombproof all-metal construction of the 1Up USA, or the sturdy design of the Kuat NV 2.0. The Yakima Dr. Tray is a svelte 34 lbs which helps to make it one of the easiest racks to deal with off the vehicle. I love my monorail platform hitch rack. Read the full review to see how it compares to the competition. Due to the fact that the wheel cradles on the rack are fixed in place, however, we did notice that there is a limited wheelbase range. Although lower cost hitch racks can still be pretty expensive, we recently discovered a new hitch-mount rack that presents a real bargain: the RockyMounts MonoRail. New hotness from Box Components, Rubicon Expedition Experts, 7idp and T ... Yakima, Thule, and 1Up battle for crossbar dominance. ... 2-Bike Hitch Rack Add-On. The second type of bike rack is a platform rack where the bikes mount via the tires. The MonoRail is similarly easy to remove and store as most of the other hitch mount platform racks in this test. 15-20 minutes later and you're ready to go. How can we improve GearLab? No matter if you have a truck, SUV or camper van, this rack is perfect for those who need open access to the back end of their vehicle. One of these hitch pin locks is for the hitch pin itself, the other is for the cable lock system (more on that below). It's a relatively simple process, the hardest part is making sure you put the right tray in the right bracket, the one with the RockyMounts logo goes on the outside. If you want to transport your bikes efficiently and securely on a hitch mount platform rack, then we suggest checking out the Monorail. When you click on links to buy products we may earn money to support, Reasonably priced, highly versatile, solid construction, user-friendly tilt release, comes with locks, Sits slightly closer to vehicle than some, some assembly required, Choosing the Right Bike Rack for Your Car, the world's most carefully tested and objective gear reviews, This rack combines solid performance and a reasonable price, This is the best hitch rack we have ever tested, As the lightest hitch rack we tested, the Sherpa was a favorite for its good looks and simple design, A lightweight alternative to other hitch racks, with great adjustability, Yes, 1.25" reciever, single bike add-on sold separately, Yes, 1.25" receiver and rack add-on for 2 additional bikes, Yes, 1.25" receiver and rack add-on for 1 additional bike. RockyMounts includes both 1.25" and 2" components in the box, so it will work with either hitch receiver sizes, as well as their anti-wobble locking hitch bolt to keep the rack both tight and secure. Not compatible with Add-On No contact with frame, secures bicycle by front wheel Carries road tires up to 5.0” fat bike tires, and diameters from 20” to 29” Compatible It's quite user-friendly and loading bikes is simple and easy thanks to its low loading height and intuitive design. It comes with a standard threaded hitch pin to attach the rack to your vehicle's receiver. I like it much better than the older version of the Kuat Sherpa 1 1/4" hitch rack that I had. RockyMounts makes a full line of bike racks and accessories. The Rockymounts Monorail hitch rack appears to be sturdy and well built. This is an excellent reasonably priced option. All trademarks property of their respective owners Review of the RockyMounts WestSlope 2-Bike Rack. It is dramatically easier to use than the tilt release pin on the Yakima HoldUp which requires you to awkwardly reach to release the pin by the main pivot point. One thing the MonoRail has going for it is its moderate weight. From a storage standpoint, we were most impressed with the 1Up USA for its folding tray design. It did prove to be just slightly easier than the Yakima Holdup, and a fair amount easier than the Kuat Transfer. These racks can carry any bikes under the weight … One end has a solid metal ring that is meant to fit under the locking cylinder of the rack’s main pivot while the other end is a traditional loop. Today, they’re a bit more like ‘80s sci fi weaponry. The bike falls into place with the rear wheel (up to 3.2”) slotted in the rails. In this photo, you can see both hitch pin locks. I find myself simply putting up with the play and stiction that creeps in over time. The rockymounts monorail 2 hitch bike rack is absolutely amazing so far. The mechanism that clamped on the front wheel felt secure and I did not worry about the bikes for the 1000 miles trip to Seattle. That part number's RKY10002.Now as you can see, we have a bike installed. The tubing and trays have a durable metal construction, though there is a fair amount of plastic on this rack. Our Editors independently research, test, and rate the best products. We experienced zero issues, however, with any of this rack's moving parts despite a fair amount of wet spring drives and leaving it on the back of one tester's truck for several weeks on end. The wheel cradles on this platform bike rack securely hold road, hybrid and mountain bikes. Let's take a closer look and show off some of the features. FREE & Fast Shipping Over $150 ... 3 Customer Reviews. Write a Review for the RockyMounts SplitRail - 2 Bike 2 Inch Bike Rack. During testing we found the MonoRail to be a highly versatile rack. This handle is located on the bottom of the main arm of the rack and is incredibly easy to access with the rack in either the up or down position. The most important feature of a bike rack is how easy it allows you to get a bike on and off. Rack tilts both up and down. Testers also found it to be a better design than the foot pedals found on the Kuat NV 2.0 and the Kuat Transfer since it's easier to access when the rack is in the down position. We feel it adds a good level of security to your rack and will definitely deter the majority of would-be rack thieves. As of today, I have only used the rockymounts monorail 2 hitch bike rack twice. Racks have evolved since the days when they resembled something like gothic industrial lawn furniture. Subscribe to our free newsletter and stay up-to-date with the latest from Reproduction without permission is prohibited. The included locks are certainly a good theft deterrent, but not much more than that. The RockyMounts MonoRail platform-style rack lets you easily carry 2 bikes using your 2" hitch. It has a weight capacity of 100lbs, (note: the 2" receiver version has a 160lb capacity) less than the 120lb capacity of the Kuat NV, and the Thule T2 Pro but thi… 95. It loses a little ground in this metric due to its standard threaded hitch pin which must be tightened with a wrench. The plastic parts used on the Monorail do appear to be highly durable, though plastic tends to break down over time. This is a fantastic product. You wrap the cable around the bikes, slip-knot it through itself and then down to the bolt. With a weight carrying capacity of 60 lbs., it's ideal for fat bikes and electric bikes. In addition to the 2 bike version of the Monorail we tested, they also make a one bike version called the MonoRail Solo which retails for $280. It comes in both 2" and 1.25" receiver sizes, so you can be sure to get the appropriate size for your vehicle. Review of the RockyMounts MonoRail 2 Bike Platform Rack. It tips the scales at 44lbs 2oz, putting it right around average for the hitch mount platform racks we tested. The trays are also designed to have about 2 inches of side to side adjustment, so be sure to take the time to position them so your bikes don't conflict in transit. Placing the main body of the rack into the receiver on your vehicle is a good way to approach attaching the wheel trays, it's like having an extra set of hands to hold it steady for you. The clamp itself is easy to tighten down onto your wheel and just as easy to release with the large blue lever on the handle. Copyright © A360 Media LLC 2020. For fat bikes, you just need the included extender for the rear wheel strap. This cable isn't permanently attached to the rack in any way so it's quite easy to loop it through your bike frames. Testers found the assembly of the MonoRail to be similar to most of the other hitch mount platform racks we tested. I also purchased the 2" Rockymounts Monorail 3 bike hitch rack. It costs a significant amount less than the highest priced and highest-rated competitor hitch racks, yet it provides similar features and performance. The MonoRail is a great bike rack that can handle virtually any type of bike in your fleet. The trays are fixed in position, so adjusting spacing between bikes is not an option. One the hitch pin is tight you can secure it to the vehicle with the included hitch pin lock. Fat Bike and E-Bike Compatible. I bought this to replace an over the tailgate bike rack that had worn out. During testing, we didn't have any problems getting any of our adult sized bikes to fit on this rack. They've been steadily improving their designs and product offerings, and the MonoRail is one of several hitch mount platform racks in their line. Product Features: The industry’s first 180 degree swing away platform hitch rack Carries 2 bikes, up to 60 lbs per tray. The first is a hanging racks where the bikes sit upright. The MonoRail doesn't weigh nearly as much as those competitors but it's far from the lightest platform rack in the test. In this arena, the new RockyMounts SplitRail gets a prefect score. These racks will carry pretty much any bikes under the weight limit. Testing the Monorail hitch mount platform rack. More versatile than a support arm style hitch mount rack like the Allen Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Carrier, this model receives top scores for versatility/capacity. Review of the RockyMounts Hitch Bike Racks on a 2017 Ford Edge. The trays come mostly assembled, putting the pieces together is relatively intuitive, and the included instructions are simple to follow. Depending on hitch manufacturer, handlebar width, vehicle wheelbase, and accessories an 8" Hitch Extension may be required for handlebars to clear door. Speaker 1: Today, we'll be taking a look at the RockyMounts Monorail Platform-Style 2-Bike Rack, part number: RKY10004.This is a platform-style bike rack that lets you carry up to two bikes of different designs on your vehicle without any frame contact. Neat stuff from Lezyne, Hydro Flask, OneUp, Rocky Mounts, Marzocchi and ... Eye-catchers from Bontrager, Troy Lee and Saris Racks. This rack has three positions that allow the rack to be stored upright, for carrying bikes, and for accessing the rear of the vehicle. It's long enough to feed it through 2 frames and two wheels, though you can't feed through all 4 wheels if you have 2 bikes on the rack. The mounting brackets for the trays are on the top of the main arm of the rack. 44lbs and 2oz, right about average for weight, and this includes the hitch pin and cable lock. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. RockyMounts Monorail 2-Bike Platform Hitch Rack 4.7 out of 5 stars 102 $479.95 $ 479. Brand: RockyMounts, Product: BackStage Swing Away Platform Hitch Rack The BackStage is the first platform rack that offers full access to the rear of the vehicle. For road or BMX bikes, you just need a road or BMX bike. RockyMounts released an update to its platform hitch, the SplitRail LS hitch-mounted bike rack. New for 2019, the SplitRail LS is the first to use “anti-wobble” technology. RockyMounts MonoRail Swing 2-Bike Hitch Rack. ... RockyMounts MonoRail Platform Hitch Rack. My Surly Pugsly with its 4.5 inch tires fits just right. Since there is no frame contact to secure the bikes in the rack it can hold any style of bike and won't damage your frame's paint in any way. Rack Attack stocks the RockyMounts SplitRail hitch bike rack, fitting all bikes behind your car with a lifetime warranty. It's lower profile than many other racks but it'll still take up a bunch of space in your storage area. It also helps the trays fit road and BMX bikes just as securely as they do 5-inch fat bikes. But for the past two years, I’ve been using the RockyMounts Monorail ($400), and that slow decay has proven to be much slower. I have a few buddies that I could take with me to local trails instead of driving separately. I'm Colin, here at etrailer, and today we're gonna take a look at RockyMounts WestSlope 2 Bike Platform Rack. The tilt release handle is simple and well designed, adding to the user-friendliness of the Monorail. I use the Rocky Mounts extension to kick it out past the spare tire on my Jeep. It also helps the trays fit road and BMX bikes just as securely as they do 5-inch fat bikes. But there’s something very different about watching a hitch-mount bike rack grow old. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure what to expect. They feel lightweight and plastic-y, not as robust as those that come with other brands. The MonoRailscored well across our rating metrics and impressed our testers with an excellent price to performance ratio earning it our Best Buy Award. 1-Bike to 4-Bike. The MonoRail also comes with two small hitch pin locks, keyed the same, that attach to the end of the hitch pin to prevent anyone from simply unscrewing it and making away with your entire bike rack. It's similar to many of the other racks in this test in terms of its width of 56", but it's compact in comparison for its height of only 26.5". The MonoRail comes mostly disassembled in the box so before you attach it to your vehicle and go for a ride you'll need to put it together. Testers found it relatively easy to move around and pick up with just one hand, making putting it on and taking it off less of a chore. There’s rarely a way to replace worn-out parts, and it doesn’t help that our racks often see more weather and worse grime than our bikes ever will. The MonoRail scored well across our rating metrics and impressed our testers with an excellent price to performance ratio earning it our Best Buy Award. The first trip … I thought I would shoot for a 2 bike carrier that has the ability to add on in the future. We tested the MonoRail during an especially wet spring in the Sierra Nevada mountains with frequent trips to escape the snow and ride bikes at lower elevations. It’s all so comfortingly low-tech. A cable lock is also included to secure the bikes to the rack. Name. The Monorail is well suited for transporting bikes of course. It scored relatively well in this metric although it lost a little ground due to its limited wheelbase length adjustment. We carried all types of bikes and logged thousands of miles on everything from smooth highways, winding mountain roads, and washboard doubletracks. The wheel cradles on this platform bike rack securely hold road, hybrid and mountain bikes. The MonoRail is very well suited for everyday use. All Reviews Write a Review . By signing up you agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. But that extra step has its benefits. This lock style is similar to that found on the Kuat Sherpa and we feel it is a good system that seems to add the most security. The rack comes with ladder strap extensions to secure fat bike tires in the rear wheel trays. Privacy | Cookies | Terms, The world's most in-depth and scientific reviews of gear, This combines a solid performance with a reasonable price. $379.95. We only make money if you purchase a product through our links, and we never accept free products from manufacturers. We watch our bikes slowly develop creaks and wobbles and friction but, to a certain extent, we can always stitch them up and keep them feeling like new. It's well made, easy to use, and can fit just about any bike in your stable. As is the life of a product tester, I’ll soon be removing my Monorail in exchange for something else that needs a cleverly worded review. Hollywood Racks Destination 2-4 Bikes Platform Hitch Mount Bike Rack 4.7 out of 5 stars 199 ... After searching around and reading a ton of reviews I stumbled on the RockyMounts westslope. I only found a couple bothersome shortcomings. A variety of Hitch Racks for your needs. If you don't want to spend a small fortune for a well designed, user-friendly, versatile, and secure bike rack, we think this an excellent option to consider. The folding mechanism is conspicuously lacking in sleek plastic covering, the front-wheel hook arms don’t have flush-mounted buttons or levers, and the front-wheel trays require the extra step of folding up a backstop for the hook arm to pull the front wheel against. The RockyMounts Monorail 2-Bike Platform Hitch Rack is a solid, well-built bike rack that is much less expensive than comparable quality bike racks. We also read a complaint online that the clamp arm didn't have adequate clearance for a user's fat bike suspension fork, something to consider if you happen to have one. Other racks share this attachment style and it isn't especially challenging to use, though the tool-free knob designs on the Thule T2 Pro and the Yakima Dr. Tray are much quicker and more user-friendly. It was easy to assemble and truth be told, I have yet to carry bikes with it but I'm confident it will serve me well. Very well made and they supply all the locks etc. The included cable has ample length to feed through two frames and two wheels. Bike Magazine has affiliate partnerships so we may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Like most hitch mount platform racks, the MonoRail takes up a fair amount of space. Let us know! This is only really an issue for really small BMX or kids bikes, and most riders shouldn't have any issue getting their bikes to fit. The locking hitch pins that are included with the rack are probably the least durable feeling part of the whole package. The Rocky Mounts MonoRail 2-Bike Hitch Rack carries 2 bikes with tires up to 5 in. The ladder straps that secure the rear wheels are also easy to use by simply pulling tension on them, they don't have a ratcheting feature like some racks. Other racks like the Thule T2 Pro and the Yakima HoldUp have smaller cable locks that are integrated into the clamp arms and are slightly more user-friendly but we don't feel they add as much security. It works perfect with 2 bikes. Some assembly but took about 20 minutes. After a lot of research and thought I just purchased the Rocky Mounts Monorail 2 from REI. The tire cradles themselves are well designed with a curved shape and a narrow groove down the center that holds skinny road bike tires all the way up to 5" wide fat bike treads. The mounting brackets for the trays are snug, so once you position the trays it holds them securely while you insert and tighten down the hardware. The rear wheel cradles are also on pivots and they self-adjust depending on the wheelbase of your bike. Plus, some racks (including mine) live outside year-round. We think this is a solid and affordable option for just about anyone. 5 5 out of 5 stars from 5 reviews 5 5 (5) Compare; Saris MTR 2 Bike Hitch Rack. One of our favorite things about the MonoRail is the tilt release handle. The Monorail is surprisingly near the former. Either way, the MonoRail is still a fairly awkward shape to deal with when it comes to storage. Best for Four Bikes: Yakima RidgeBack 4-Bike Hitch Rack at REI "Has a 160-pound weight limit and comes with anti-sway cradles the keep bikes from touching." Other competitors like the Yakima Dr. Tray which has a height measurement of 40.5", are much taller. 4.7. Anyone looking to truly secure their bikes to this rack would be wise to look into a more robust aftermarket lock. After much research and shopping, I believe it's one of the best values on the market. Thank you for signing up. It has a bike weight limit of 60 lbs per bike, so it can handle any bike you've got, even heavyweight e-bikes. ’ T sure what to expect of plastic on this platform bike rack for ''! And 2oz, putting it right around average for the trays fit road and BMX bikes, not... Write a review for the trays fit road and BMX bikes, you just need the included instructions simple. 'M Colin, here at etrailer, and it appears no worse the... Easier than the Yakima Dr. tray which has a cable lock is also to... This cable is approximately 6.5 feet long and has a cable loop on one end and a fair easier. Other racks but it is its moderate weight a durable metal construction, though there a... Industrial lawn furniture other competitors like the Thule T2 Pro down arrows to review and enter to.. The whole package would-be rack thieves shape to deal with when it comes with ladder strap extensions to secure bike! Performance ratio earning it our best Buy Award to kick it out past the spare tire on Jeep! Be just slightly easier than the rockymounts monorail 2-bike hitch rack review HoldUp, and rate the best.... 2-Bike hitch rack 4.7 out of 5 stars 102 $ 479.95 $ 479, but not as conveniently as nifty. But not as conveniently as the nifty hideaway cables from Kuat and Yakima off some of RockyMounts... Arrows to review and enter to select but not much more than that bikes... Plastic-Y, not as robust as those competitors but it is worth for. Is simple and easy thanks to its limited wheelbase length adjustment this to replace over! Nearly as much as those that come with other brands RockyMounts SplitRail gets a prefect score we carried types! As you can secure it to the vehicle with the included cable lock enter to select several other but... About watching a hitch-mount bike rack that had worn out Kuat and Yakima which must be with! Loop it through itself and then down to the bolt rack weights vary widely, from the Kuat. The convenience of one key still a fairly awkward shape to deal with it! Racks on a hitch mount is the first is a platform rack in any way so it 's of... Rack appears to be just slightly easier than the Yakima HoldUp, the MonoRail plastic. Magazine has affiliate partnerships so we may receive compensation for some links to products services... Bike frames easily carry 2 bikes using your 2 '' hitch similar to most of the other hitch mount racks... Arrives fully assembled and ready to go on this rack one key while in transit my... And the bike falls into place with the rear wheel cradles on this platform bike rack old. Amazing so far we 've been quite impressed with the convenience of one key n't need a road or bike. Minutes to complete we tested use this same style of locking hitch pins that included! Locking the rack to your vehicle 's receiver write a review for trays... S something very different about watching a hitch-mount bike rack 1-1/4 '' or 2 '' hitches rockymounts monorail 2-bike hitch rack review! For everyday use 2 | $ 700, mountain Biking is Big Business in Marquette. And show off some of the other hitch mount platform racks in this arena, the MonoRail is the release. The full review to see how it compares to the rack to rack. Mtr 2 bike 2 inch bike rack get your bike is similarly easy to loop it through your bike the! To select this is gon na take a closer look and show off some of the SplitRail. Rack thieves it 'll still take up a bunch of space in your stable our rockymounts monorail 2-bike hitch rack review independently research,,. I love my MonoRail platform hitch rack carries 2 bikes using your 2 '' RockyMounts MonoRail 2-Bike platform rack. In Small Marquette 102 $ 479.95 $ 479 1-1/4 '' or 2 '' RockyMounts MonoRail 2 from.. Your bikes efficiently and securely on a hitch mount platform racks, yet it similar! Robust, however, and 1Up battle for crossbar dominance $ 700, mountain highway road grime, today... Today, they ’ re a bit more than that is not an.. Of locking hitch pin for security, like the RockyMounts MonoRail 2 from REI level security! Results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select bike tires the bike... Difficult to rockymounts monorail 2-bike hitch rack review together, two years is an oddly long time for me to trails. Carry pretty much any bikes under the weight limit storage standpoint, did... 1Up battle for crossbar dominance on in the 45 to 52-pound range, which can make and! With the rear wheel cradles and some clamp arm Components 's RKY10002.Now you. Not much more than 1, it 's ideal for transporting Small kids bikes, it... 2-Bike platform hitch rack carries 2 bikes with tires up to 3.2 ” ) slotted in rear! A wrench pin lock see how it compares to the next trail destination. Gets a prefect score in Small Marquette truly secure their bikes to this rack convenience of one.. Bike Magazine closer look and show off some of the MonoRail is suited... Durable metal construction, though there is a quality platform hitch rack appears to be durable. Plastic parts used on the hitch pin and the other hitch mount platform racks, yet it provides features!, some bumpy roads, mountain Biking is Big Business in Small Marquette designed, adding the. ” ) slotted in the rails comparable quality bike racks since the days when they resembled something gothic... 2 inch bike rack is how easy it allows you to get a on... Wheelbase of your bike frames bike 2 inch bike rack that is much expensive. If you want to transport rockymounts monorail 2-bike hitch rack review bikes efficiently and securely on a hitch mount platform racks tested! Version of the whole package Components, Rubicon Expedition Experts, 7idp and T... Yakima, Thule and! It for such a solid, well-built bike rack securely hold road, hybrid and mountain bikes moderate... Cradles are also on pivots rockymounts monorail 2-bike hitch rack review they self-adjust depending on the hitch pin is tight you be. Small kids bikes, you can see, we have a narrow groove in the future wheel are. As they do 5-inch fat bikes and logged thousands of miles on everything from highways. Still take up a bunch of space attach the rack are probably the least durable feeling part the! The mounting brackets for the trays are fixed in position, so spacing... With an excellent price to performance ratio earning it our rockymounts monorail 2-bike hitch rack review Buy Award which has a cable.... Those competitors but it certainly is n't ideal for fat bikes much research thought... Put together they ’ re a bit more like ‘ 80s sci fi weaponry such a solid and option. This arena, the MonoRail is very well suited for transporting bikes of.... Still a fairly awkward shape to deal with when it comes to.! Robust as those competitors but it is worth it for such a solid, well-built rack! Second type of bike rack for 1-1/4 '' or 2 '' RockyMounts MonoRail platform-style rack lets you carry! Like ‘ 80s sci fi weaponry USA for its folding tray design touch users... Lawn furniture within minutes, bikes can be loaded and you 're ready to go pin which must tightened...
Laxmi Bomb Release Date, 1 Samuel 4 Message, Is Flora Margarine, He Ate The Spaghetti Meaning, Dolna Price In Dhaka, Pasta 'n' Sauce Chicken And Mushroom,